Cosy, centrally-located apartment for holiday lets
Lovely flat in the centre of Eger for short term lets, click here or on the picture above to learn more.
Eger is the seat of the Archbishop and has been since the beginning of the 19th century.
The grandeur of the recently renovated Archbishop's Palace, located on Szechenyi Street reflects the central place the Church has played in the history of Eger for the past 1000 years.
After its extremely costly renovation, the Palace is now open to visitors and has been renamed the Archbishop's Palace Visitor Centre.
No bad thing since previous to its facelift the building had been falling into disrepair due to neglect, and, to my untrained eye at least, the restoration has been undertaken sympathetically.
The Palace as you would expect houses exhibitions and educational displays detailing the story of the Church in Eger. Included among these are:
- An exhibition of religious art: books, vestements, artifacts and other items from the archepiscopal collection.This used to be housed in a seperate museum for detials on the fascinating exhibits click here
- Historical interiors: pontifical study room , lounge, reception room, bedroom and a beautiful chapel
- Hungarian Saints and Legends exhibition
- The History of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Eger timeline , interactive touch screen
- Portraits of the Eger Bishops and Archbishops
- 1,000 years of the Hungarian Church
- Temporary Exhibitions (containing items lent by the vatican Museum
- Eger, the Church and Wine - Exhibition exploring the four wine regions making up part of the territory of the archdiocese
- Baroque ornamental garden - including a display of Saints' plants
Address: Eger 3300, Szechenyi Street.
Opening Hours are as follows:
Between April 1st-September 30th, Tuesday-Sunday: 10-18.00
Between October 1st -March 31st, Tuesday-Saturday 10.00-16.00
If you're with kids and/or you've had you fill of Christian paraphenalia, then there are other activities/services to spend your time on
- Eat some cake (at the coffee shop)
Buy some souvenirs at the gift shop
Visit the Tourist Information Point
Watch a film about the history of Heves County (in Hungarian)
Vist the Internet room
Avail of the free wifi
- Visit the Baroque Garden